Friday

Stumped. (ha! pun)


So, today I had a 3rd grader ask me a great question. He wanted to know if a tree could live forever. I knew that trees had different life spans, but didn't really know much past that. Turns out (I ran back to my office after the program and googled it) that the oldest living tree is the Bristlecone Pine. These trees can live up to 5,000 years! 5,000, can you imagine?! There is record of one specimen being 4,600 years old. Bristlecone Pines grow very slowly in cold temperatures and dry soils. The wood is very dense and is thus resistant to fungi and many annoying pests.

Isn't knowledge fantastic? I love that I'm learning something completely fascinating each day.

1 comment:

  1. Katie and I were told in Corfu,Greece that olive trees live forever....of course this was from a Greek women who also said on many occasions that Greeks make stuff up!

    ReplyDelete